To Buy Organic or Not to Buy Organic

March 13, 2013


Typically, when I go grocery shopping I buy organic. I couldn't help but notice on a recent trip that organic produce was the same price as non. This posed the question...why not buy organic?! I get that organic produce is usually more expensive, but you have no excuse if it's the SAME price. Produce grown with less chemicals? Yes please!
 Image source

Research has shown that there is no difference in the nutrient content of organic vs. non, but personally, I think the organic produce tastes and looks a whole lot better. The organic strawberries, for example, are deep red in color, smaller in size and taste super sweet. Non-organic strawberries are usually really big and the flavor and color just isn't there.



 Next time you're out grocery shopping, take a little extra time to compare prices. I bet you'd be pleasantly surprised!


? Do you typically buy organic or non-organic produce? ?


Happy Registered Dietitian Day to my fellow RD's! :-)
 

1 comments:

  1. Thought you would find this interesting. http://www.rodale.com/food-ingredients-avoid
    The corn and strawberries surprised me a lot!

    ReplyDelete