Meatless Monday

March 11, 2013
Another work week. Is it just me or did the weekend go by waaaaay to fast? I guess I'll blame this one on the time change!

Anyways, on to the first edition of Meatless Monday. This is actually a huge movement in the nutrition world. There's even an entire website dedicated to it! Here's why going meatless is a great idea: "Going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. It can also help reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuel."
  
I was craving a taco salad and thought it would make the perfect meatless meal. I started with black beans as my protein source. Oh, how I love black beans.


 Black beans are a great protein and fiber source. In 1/2 cup you get 5g of fiber and 7g protein! I like to rinse my beans before using them to remove some of the salt and starch.


 I started building my salad by adding shredded lettuce first (use romaine, head lettuce, etc).


Then, I added black beans, tomato, red onion and avocado. Aren't avocados amazing? I recommend slicing the avocado first and then scooping out the pieces.


This salad can be dressed up anyway you like. Add in cilantro, lime juice, salsa, shredded cheese, low fat sour cream, brown rice, bell peppers... anything you would put in a taco!


Some people might like to crush up chips and put them in their salad but, I had my chips on the side. Garden of Eatin' are my favorite chips. They taste really good!


This meal is great because it's full of veggies, fiber, lean protein and healthy fats. Plus, the options are endless! Have fun with it!

Tell me, do you usually have a meatless meal during the week?


0 comments:

Post a Comment