Clean Your Plate

March 25, 2013
While having lunch with a friend yesterday I couldn't help but think how most of my life I cleaned my plate. It's definitely how I was raised. I can remember my grandpa telling me, "eat two more bites." I would finish the two bites only to hear, "eat one more bite." This game would go on until sooner or later my plate was clean.

I get the whole "you shouldn't waste food" thing but, I can't help but think how terrible that mindset is. By having this mindset we automatically go into a meal ready to overeat. Whatever happened to listening to your body?

I think over the years I've learned to listen to my body's hunger/full cues. Sure I have my moments where I need to polish off the last morsel of carrot cake (my absolute fav!) but, who doesn't? The majority of the time I make a conscious effort to eat only until I'm satisfied. If that means taking home leftovers or leaving some on my plate then so be it. I mean, who wants to eat a meal and then be so full afterwards that all you want to do is sleep or lay down? I'd much rather eat just enough to be satisfied and then get on with the days activities or dive into that to-do list.

Image Source

Here are a few tips to help you put that fork down and not clean your plate:

Drink plenty of water before and during your meal

Try starting with a salad. This will help fill you up without adding a ton of calories

Put the fork or spoon down between bites

Engage in conversation and enjoy your company

Chew slowly and savor each bite

Listen to your body. It takes time for our bodies to recognize they are full or satisfied. Using the above tips will help slow down your eating so that your body can catch up.

 ? Do you usually clean your plate or stop once you're full? ?


0 comments:

Post a Comment