Homemade Larabars

August 7, 2013
I've been wanting to try to make my own Larabars for sometime now. I saw some bulk dates at the store recently and decided it was a sign I needed to just do it already. Dates are essential because they are at the heart of Larabars.


 
(I was in the moment and wasn't able to document a lot of the process...sorry!)
 
Homemade Larabars:
 
2 cups dates
1 cup nuts (whatever type you prefer)
1/4 cup nut butter
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

First, put the nuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer those to a bowl when done.
 
Next, Add the dates to the food processor and mix until they start to clump together.
 
Once the dates are done, add the nuts and peanut butter to the dates and pulse until well combined.
 
Lastly, mix in the shredded coconut. I did this with a spoon, but you could just as easily pulse it in the food processor.
 
Before transferring, line an 8" cake pan with waxed or parchment paper. Pack the mixture in the pan and then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before cutting.
 
 
This was an experiment that just so happened to work out and I encourage you to experiment as well! Try adding cocoa powder, cinnamon, honey, dried fruit, etc. Enjoy making up your own unique flavor!
 

 
Once cut I placed my bars in snack baggies and put them back in the fridge so I could grab them easily for my lunch or snack during the week.


 
I think what I love most about these bars is that I know what's in them. Dates, nuts/peanut butter and coconut...simple as that! None of the artifical flavors or colors that come in other store bought bars.
 
 
? What's your favorite type of nutrition bar? ?
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment