Apple Muffins

November 29, 2012
When I bake, I like to try and incorporate healthy ingredients and alternatives when possible. I found these Apple Muffins and decided to give them a try. They are heart healthy and packed full of nutritious ingredients.

Here's what you'll need:

1/2 cup oat bran (I made my own by putting oatmeal through the food processor)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
4 Tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup applesauce
1 shredded apple (I used something similar to a cheese grater for this)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Next, whisk together in a large bowl the oat bran, flour, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg


 
Then, in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and oil until smooth. Stir in the applesauce, shredded apple, and sugar

Combine mixtures and fold in pecans (don't be turned off by how the mix looks...they taste much better then they look!)


Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups. I made mini muffins, so my baking time was less than the 22-25 minutes recommended. They baked approximately 12-15 minutes.




















These were great! They were super hearty and filling! One regular sized muffin has approximately 150 calories, so if you make mini muffins they're a perfectly portioned snack! Enjoy!


 ? What's your favorite kind of muffin? ?
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment